Facebook match reports Share on WhatsApp New Zealand’s Erin Naylor (in goal) and Abby Erceg (No 8) are unable to stop Jill Roord’s winner for the Netherlands. Photograph: Peter Powell/EPA “Football is not fair,” said the Netherlands manager, Sarina Wiegman, after her team picked up three points with an injury-time winner. New Zealand came within 120 seconds of a well-deserved point in Le Havre, only to have their hearts broken by the substitute Jill Roord.It had been billed as a mismatch. European champions and rising heavyweights against Pacific small fry who have never made it past the group stage of a World Cup. For an hour and a half it looked anything but – a defensive masterclass from New Zealand frustrating the usually deadly Dutch strikers.“We were searching for a goal and they were looking for a draw,” said Wiegman, who won 104 caps for her country as a player. “I was not nervous but I certainly thought we could play better than we did.” New Zealand 0-1 Netherlands: Women’s World Cup 2019 – as it happened Share via Email Pinterest “I think we can go far,” Roord said. “We just have to do better than this.” Martens, the player of the match, echoed the sentiment. “It wasn’t our best game,” she said.New Zealand must regroup and prepare for a similar challenge with Canada on Saturday. “We can’t let the heartbreak of that late goal determine what we do going forward, [we must] look at the 90 minutes as a whole,” the manager, Tom Sermanni, said.The Scot, who is at his fourth World Cup, added: “I think when we do that we come away with a lot more positives than negatives. The players will be absolutely devastated but they are a resilient group and I am confident we will bounce back.” Read more New Zealand women’s football team Twitter Match of the Day (@BBCMOTD)Last-minute joy for the Netherlands…. but heartbreaking for New Zealand.What a time to win it.#NZL 0-1 #NED Live on @BBCRedButton 👉 (link: https://t.co/XRDAmNF3P7) https://t.co/XRDAmNF3P7 #ChangeTheGame #bbcfootball#NZLNED pic.twitter.com/g8NLVPdVe5June 11, 2019 Netherlands women’s football team Share on LinkedIn Share on Messenger It was New Zealand who had the first opening in the 10th minute, when Olivia Chance collected a loose ball and darted into space. The Everton midfielder unleashed a shot from the edge of the area that slammed against the crossbar and bounced clear.The Netherlands dominated as the first half wore on, their possession count at one point reaching 68%, but they struggled to pose real danger. If anything a determined New Zealand, with their occasional rapid counterattacks, looked the more threatening team.They should have scored in the opening stages of the second half, with a double opportunity squandered by their lone striker, Sarah Gregorius. The Netherlands responded immediately, Vivianne Miedema denied by the onrushing Nayler before Martens had another attempt moments later. Women’s World Cup 2019 The match opened up, with both teams searching desperately for the points to gain an advantage in group E. But despite chance after chance – a ball flashing across an open New Zealand goalmouth, a powerful goal-bound header at the other end – the score remained unchanged.At one point the Netherlands spent several minutes camped around New Zealand’s box, unable to find a route to goal.Finally, when it looked as if New Zealand would get their reward, Roord pounced. Her goal extends the Netherlands’ winning streak to five matches and leaves them confident of progressing to the knockout stage after Canada beat Cameroon in unconvincing fashion on Monday. Chile 0-2 Sweden: Women’s World Cup 2019 – as it happened Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Read more Share on Pinterest Topics Just as the boisterous Dutch fans were beginning to lose their voices, Roord reinvigorated them. Arsenal’s new signing finished from close range to deny a clean sheet to Erin Nayler, who to that point had marshalled an impenetrable defence. It was Roord’s first goal in national colours for 872 days.“It was a long time [between goals] – I don’t even want to think about it,” the midfielder said. “The goal came really late but the most important thing was that we got the three points.”From the start, the Netherlands were bent on their usual attacking game – to the appreciation of a largely orange-clad crowd. In one of the first moves of the game, the 2017 world player of the year, Lieke Martens, outpaced CJ Bott and sent in one of many crosses. But New Zealand’s compact defence, who did not concede once while qualifying via the Oceania Nations Cup, held firm. Reuse this content
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, December 18, 2017 – Providenciales – The Turks and Caicos Government is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Derek Been as the new Director of Immigration within the Ministry of Border Control and Employment Services.Mr. Been who officially took up the post on Wednesday, November 15th, 2017, holds a Post Graduate Degree from the University of Leicester Business School and previously dedicated over 10 years to the Turks and Caicos Islands Civil Service where he served as the former Under Secretary in the Ministry of Tourism, Communication and Immigration from 1999 – 2004; as the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Home Affairs from 2006-2009 and as the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Works, Utilities and Housing from 2009-2010, before taking up the post of Deputy Director of the Turks and Caicos Islands Ports Authority from 2010-2016.During his tenure in government Mr. Been had the opportunity to assist in a number of key projects including the construction of the North and Middle Caicos Causeway, Leeward Highway, the introduction of the Ports Authority, the Public Works Change Initiative, the Blue Ribbon Commission and several other key projects.Mr. Been is a civic leader having dedicated many years of service to the Boys Scouts where he serves as the Leader of the Grand Turk Division and is a member of the Turks and Caicos National Museum. He is also the founder and webmaster of Grand Turk Events which seeks to bring awareness to community events on the island of Grand Turk.Deputy Governor and Head of the Public Service Her Excellency Anya Williams stated that she was pleased to welcome Mr. Been back to the civil service and in such a critical role at such a critical time; “I am pleased to congratulate Mr. Been on his appointment and to welcome him back to the Turks and Caicos Islands Civil Service. His appointment which is a critical one, comes at a very critical time as we seek to make a number of positive changes in the structures, systems and management in the Ministry of Border Control and more specifically in the Immigration Department.Mr. Been possesses a wealth of knowledge and experience, having previously served as a former Under Secretary within this and numerous other ministries along with serving as a former Permanent Secretary within government. He is fully aware of both the challenges and needs of the department and has already in his short time in the department set about an action plan for change. I look forward to working with him and to supporting him in his role where I have every confidence that he will do exceptionally well.”Deputy Premier, Honourable Sean Astwood added, “I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Mr. Been to the Ministry of Border Control and Employment. Mr. Been assumes the vital role of Director of Immigration at a pivotal moment in our country’s history, where now more than ever, there needs to be sound direction and developments in the policies and practices guiding both migration and immigration activities for the protection and security of our borders.Mr. Been, as a former Civil Servant, Under Secretary and Permanent Secretary of numerous areas within Government, brings with him a wealth of knowledge and experience that will be fundamental to the department’s ability to address the many challenges that have inundated our communities and social systems over the years. While we have embarked on numerous initiatives for the reshaping of migration and immigration in the TCI, there is a long road ahead of us but I am encouraged by the energy and diversity that Mr. Been has on how the department, and indeed the country, can achieve its goals.Over the coming weeks Mr. Been will be working to institute new guidelines and policies for the improvement and revitalization of his department and together, with our support, I expect that he will have another long successful tenure with us.”Commenting on the appointment himself Mr. Derek Been said: “I am most thankful to Almighty God for granting me the opportunity to serve in such a role and at such a time. I am fully cognizant of the inherent challenges and threats that seem to dominate the immigration and labour sectors. However, opportunities also exist and the way we manage migration and immigration is critical to the cultural, social and economic well-being of these Islands and for those who conduct business and reside here permanently. The Immigration Department is essentially an enforcement body. The staff that I lead are expected to operate within the provision of the laws of the country. I expect the officers to be fair, firm and consistent in exercising their functions and we expect the Public and our clients to appreciate and adhere to the law.As it relates specifically to the role as Director, I will support lawful entry to persons (business and pleasure) who will benefit these Islands, while preventing the abuse of the society and its economy.I look forward to continuing the efforts to improve service delivery and processes that we manage, and to achieve efficiency and effectiveness. Critical to meeting our objectives is increased staff training and cross training, forging strategic alliances and the use of technology to protect our borders. I look forward to supporting the team at the Ministry of Border Control and Employment in achieving the broader objectives.” Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Increasing defense spending by almost 5 percent to $750 billion in fiscal 2020 likely is not realistic, Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.), ranking member on the House Armed Services Committee, said following news reports that President Trump has reversed course and now plans to boost his budget request for national security. “It seems hard for me to imagine that we’re going to be able to get to a $750 billion defense budget in a fiscally responsible way that balances out … all the priorities of the country,” Smith, who is expected to lead the committee next year, told Politico. “But I will wait to see that argument,” he said. The Pentagon had begun crafting a $700 billion proposal at Trump’ request, which would have represented a 2 percent cut from this year’s $716 billion allocation for DOD and other components of national security.Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), ranking member on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said the higher budget request doesn’t help resolve the question as to how Congress will deal with the statutory spending cap for FY 2020. “It’s not a coherent, comprehensive approach to the budget problems,” Reed said, reported Defense News. “It’s a number here, a number there. It doesn’t deal with the underlying issue, which is sequestration, how do you relieve it for defense and nondefense, how do you fund the State Department if you’re only funding DOD and nothing else,” he said.