Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Dick Pound told Reuters on Wednesday that organisers would “reluctantly” have to cancel the Games if the coronavirus developed into a serious pandemic.Thorpe said athlete safety should come above all else.”I would most definitely be concerned,” the five-times Olympic champion told reporters in Canberra on Thursday.”What we need to know is to use some of the best expert disease specialists to find out what is the risk to the team. What is the risk to the other nations and how can we have an Olympic Games, one that is safe, that doesn’t put athletes at risk?”I think the decision should come down to each individual athlete. But whether or not they want to compete, that they should take their health into consideration first.”Australia’s Olympic team chef de mission Ian Chesterman said on Wednesday the coronavirus was a serious concern but athletes were being instructed to prepare as if they were going to Tokyo as scheduled.Topics : Australian swimming great Ian Thorpe says athletes should not put their Olympic dreams before their health in deciding whether to compete at the Tokyo Games as global health authorities battle to contain the spread of the new coronavirus.The flu-like virus is believed to have originated in a market selling wildlife in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year and has infected about 80,000 people and killed more than 2,700, the vast majority in China.A number of international sports events have been hit by the coronavirus, with some competitions being postponed and others cancelled outright, and there are concerns that the outbreak might scupper the Tokyo Olympics.
The International Association of Dredging Companies (IADC) will be presenting the IADC Young Author Award 2017 at the CEDA Dredging Days, which will take place on 9-10 November, 2017 at Ahoy Rotterdam, the Netherlands.The IADC Young Author Award is aimed at stimulating the promotion of new ideas and to encourage young people working in the dredging industry and related fields.Each year at selected conferences, IADC grants this award for the best paper written by authors younger than 35 years of age.In 2016, Lucas Silveira, manager of Coastal & Ports Engineering of CB&I, a Brazilian consultancy firm, won the IADC Young Author Award at the PIANC-COPEDEC IX conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.It was titled “Integrated Method for the Development of Optimal Channel Dredging Project – Case Study: Terminal Portuário do Mearim”.
Norway’s Statoil has received consent from the Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA) for work on two wells on the Troll field offshore Norway using two Songa Offshore-owned Cat D drilling rigs.The PSA issued two consents to Statoil on Thursday, one for work on the 31/2-X-11 CH well and the other for the 31/2-Y-24 CYH XT well.The first consent applies to the use of Songa Endurance for drilling, completion, workover, intervention and plugging (P&A) of 31/2-X-11 CH.According to the PSA, the drilling operations are scheduled to begin in March and are expected to last 43 days.The second consent is for the use of the Songa Equinox for drilling, completion, workover, intervention and plugging (P&A) of 31/2-Y-24 CYH XT.The PSA said that the drilling operations were scheduled to begin in April and were expected to last 80 days.Water depth at both sites is 332 meters.Both the Songa Endurance and the Songa Equinox are Cat D semi-submersible drilling rigs operated by Songa Offshore. The rigs received their Acknowledgement of Compliance (AoC) from the PSA in late 2015. The Cat D mid-water semi-submersible rig concept was designed for efficient year around drilling, completion, testing and intervention operations in a harsh environment.The rig duo is currently on an eight-year deal with Statoil on the Troll field with both rigs beginning their contracts in December 2015.As for the field, the Troll field is around 65 kilometers west of Kollsnes in Hordaland county. It has been developed using three integrated process and accommodation platforms, Troll A, B, and C, and subsea well templates tied back to the B and C platforms.The Troll field contains around 40 percent of the total gas reserves on the Norwegian Continental Shelf but is also among the largest oil fields on the shelf.Offshore Energy Today Staff
The tender for the Hollandse Kust (zuid/south) Sites III and IV will be opened for applications in January 2019 with a zero-subsidy opening round, according to the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO.nl).It appears that the tender will be slightly delayed compared to a plan to open the tender for applications by the end of 2018. The initial plan was laid out earlier this month in a letter the Minister of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy Eric Wiebes sent to the Dutch Parliament.RVO.nl has also issued a draft Ministerial Order for permitting offshore wind energy at the sites. Public comments and consultation on this draft order will be open until Wednesday, 10 October, 17:00 CET.Similarly to the Hollandse Kust (zuid/south) Sites I and II, the draft order stipulates that potential developers may submit a bid for the realisation of the wind farm without subsidies. In the event this tender procedure fails to yield an acceptable bid, a tender procedure including subsidies will be initiated, RVO.nl said.A final publication of the Ministerial Order for permitting Offshore Wind Energy 2018 is expected by the end of October 2018.On 15 November 2018, the RVO.nl will organise an information session to share an update on the Ministerial Order for permitting Offshore Wind Energy 2018, the subsidy and permit, the application forms and model for operational calculation.Following the successful completion of the zero-subsidy round for the Hollandse Kust (zuid) I and II sites earlier this year, Minister Wiebes said that the upcoming tenders would not necessarily follow suit as cost factors and market conditions change, and that this was the reason why he had started the process of amending the Offshore Wind Energy Act.However, according to the information released by the RVO.nl, it seems that the same tendering blueprint is being used for the new sites, with the exception of certain rule changes with regards to the selection criteria in order to improve transparency.
Greek containership owner Danaos Corporation has decided to install scrubbers on six vessels and is looking to equip a further five ships with these systems.Danaos said it has committed to installing exhaust cleaning systems on six boxships of which two are owned by the company’s joint venture Gemini Shipholding Corporation.“These vessels have been chartered out for periods of at least three years in duration and since these are all vessels that are currently on short term charters, these transactions significantly improve income visibility,” John Coustas, Danaos’ CEO, commented.In addition, Danaos unveiled it is currently in discussions to install scrubbers on five more containerships.“Danaos has been actively focused on positioning our fleet ahead of the implementation of the new regulations,” Coustas said.The scrubber project has been unveiled in the company’s financial report which shows that Danaos posted a net income of USD 148 million in the first nine months of this year, compared to USD 61.1 million seen in the corresponding period a year earlier.Operating revenues rose to USD 343.1 million during the nine-month period of 2018 from USD 337.6 million recorded in the first three quarters of 2017.In August, Danaos managed to cut its debt by approximately USD 551 million as it consummated the agreement with certain of its lenders to refinance approximately USD 2.2 billion of the debt maturing on December 31, 2018.“Danaos completed a very significant refinancing transaction in the 3rd quarter of 2018 that reduced our debt by USD 551 million, reset financial covenants and extended debt maturities to the end of 2023 on the back of a sustainable new amortization profile. This transaction has strengthened the company’s growth prospects over the next five years by removing all balloon payments and maturities of existing debt during that period,” Coustas explained.Coustas further said that the charter market has remained consistently soft in the past few months. Ongoing trade tensions and high newbuilding prices have negatively impacted newbuilding. However, this is seen as positive for the medium term market outlook.“We maintain our high charter contract coverage of 90% in terms of operating revenues and 78% in terms of operating days over the next 12 months. This insulates us from the near-term soft charter market. Through the six charters described above on vessels with scrubbers and an additional two fixtures that have been secured for durations of three years, our charter coverage has improved, and our contracted revenue has increased by more than USD 160 million,” Coustas noted.Danaos’ current fleet comprises 59 containerships aggregating 351,614 TEUs, including four vessels owned by Gemini Shipholdings Corporation, a joint venture.
Sharing is caring! Share Share HealthLifestyleNewsRegional CARPHA Concludes Risk of Getting Zika in the Caribbean Low at this Time by: – August 14, 2018 Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, August 13, 2018: The Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) has concluded that Zika virus transmission in the Caribbean Region has been interrupted, and that the risk to residents and visitors to the Region of acquiring Zika is low. This follows a review by CARPHA of the data of the last 30 months pertinent to the situation. Zika Virus (ZIKV) was first detected in the Caribbean Region in late 2015. The number of cases increased in the first half of 2016 and reached its peak circulation in August 2016, and then declined rapidly by December 2016.Before, during and after the introduction of the virus, CARPHA has been conducting surveillance and laboratory testing activity for ZIKV and has worked assiduously with its 26 CARPHA Member States (CMS) and partners to strengthen the ability to detect and diagnose cases; to enhance the capacity to reduce transmission of this and other vector-borne diseases; and to improve coordination and use of information for prevention. At this time, ongoing surveillance and laboratory testing in CMS indicate that the epidemic circulation of ZIKV has been interrupted in Caribbean territories. This is based on congruency of data available from several sources and on experience of previous outbreaks of mosquito-borne viral diseases in the Region:• Local surveillance in Member States has demonstrated both a decrease in general fever-related illness as well as a specific absence of ZIKV reports over the past year.• CARPHA Regional Laboratory continues to test samples for mosquito-borne disease, including ZIKV, Dengue virus (DENV) and Chikungunya virus (CHIKV). These tests have shown the drastic decrease from the peak of ZIKV circulation in 2016 to a situation where no cases of ZIKV have been confirmed among samples received from any CMS over the past 12 months • CARPHA has reached out to international public health agencies, including the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and the European Centres for Disease Control (eCDC), for information on cases of ZIKV in travelers returning from the Caribbean to Canada and Europe respectively. The data shared indicate a similar pattern to that seen in our regional data – a drastic decrease from a high-point in 2016, to sporadic cases in the immediate aftermath and no cases this year.CARPHA advises that there is still a need to be vigilant given the ongoing risk for dengue and other mosquito-borne diseases. The Agency maintains continuous vigilance of health and disease trends and risks for residents and visitors in the Region.We continue to work closely with other public health partners including US CDC, PAHO/WHO, tourism organizations public health agencies in Canada, the United Kingdom and the European Union to find innovative ways of mosquito control including behavior change communication and research. Working alongside CMS we will support vector control activities and educate the public to protect the health of all within their borders. There is a need to strengthen surveillance in member states, set up registries for babies affected in the 2016 epidemic, enhance laboratory testing capacity, document the findings of countries to ensure evidence-based policy and practice and to look at ways to deal with climate-sensitive, mosquito-borne diseasesAs we work towards the elimination of the vector and their breeding sites CARPHA encourages visitors and residents to protect themselves from mosquito bites by using insect repellents, wearing protective clothing and staying in screened or air conditioning accommodations. 18 Views no discussions Share Tweet
BATESVILLE, Ind. — The traffic ordinance changes that were approved in October, are now starting to take effect in Batesville.Batesville Police say that the stop signs on Park Avenue at Catherine Street and the signs on Arlington Drive at Woodfield Court have been removed.Police are urging everyone that drives, walks, runs, rides bikes in these areas to use caution.
Area Basketball ScoresTuesday (1-9)Boys ScoresOldenburg 36 South Ripley 30East Central 62 Richmond 55 (OT)Triton Central 90 North Decatur 84Girls ScoresEast Central 52 Dayton Dunbar 16Lawrenceburg 63 Jac-Cen-Del 53Rising Sun 40 Milan 36Hauser 46 Oldenburg 27Morristown 55 North DEcatur 48Trinity Lutheran 49 Waldron 37Henryville 64 Shawe Memorial 44SW Hanover 49 Christian Academy 36Rushville 47 Shelbyville 25Richmond 44 Connersville 42
Dolores Mae (nee: Smith) Strassell, 86, beloved wife of the late Walter John Strassell, co-owner and founder of Walter J. Strassell and Sons Greenhouse, passed away peacefully at home on January 17, 2018 surrounded by family. Dolores was a member of the St. Pius Catholic Church. She enjoyed sewing, gardening, flowers, cooking, baking and making a doll for each grandchild. Her greatest passion was her family in which she loved dearly.Dolores is survived by her beloved children: Pamela (Ed) Shannon, Lois (Gary) Smith, Paul (Carol) Strassell, John (Nancy) Strassell, Mark (Shari) Strassell, Mary (John) Browning, James (Kim) Strassell, Donna (Jim) VanCleave, Robert (Beth) Strassell, Diana Schilling, Lisa (Bobby) Davis and her sister Marjorie (Bruce) Kramer. Also left to honor and remember her love, are 33 grandchildren and 53 great-grandchildren Dolores is preceded in death by her parents, her dear sister: Alice and Ann and her grandson Paul Joseph Strassell.Funeral mass will be Saturday January 20, 2017; 10 a.m. at St. Pius Catholic Church north of Milan with Father Frank Eckstein officiating. Burial will follow in St. Pius Cemetery. Memorials may be made to Saint Pius Preservation Fund, Capuchin Franciscan Friars or Trinity Missions. Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home entrusted with arrangements, P.O. Box 243 Milan In 47031 (812)654-2141. Go to lawscarrmoorefuneralhome.com to leave an online condolence message for the family.